Serial No 31
Period / Date
AD / BC
Stone, brick and mortar
Description of the Monument
This is an old fort in ruined condition, situated to the north of the hill, it has three encircling walls. The outer fort stretches over land, its walls have huge square stone blocks to the outer side of the fort and sharp butter shaped stones on the inner side. This typical style of construction was prevented during Vijayanagara period. The fort walls are adorned with series of square bastions.
The fort is entered through a northern gateway its door is ruined, on top of the entrance is a stone block is a figure depicting a horse rider fighting a tiger and on either sides are two persons standing.
Inside the outer fort is a large spacious are, here south of the north fort wall is a mosque which is enclosed with walls to the east is a big door, at the entrance outside is a platform with two pillars, dividing into three hall bay; in the interior mosque contains four pillars with arches on it. In front of the mosque is a tank which is lower than surface level, in the same vicinity are three graves. To the east of mosque is a large square well, with wall on east and north side, it is entered from north and steps descending down. To the northwest is a lone circular bastion.
The second fortification stretches east to west over the hill, to the south of the first fortification. Even here the wall is adorned with series of square and circular bastions. Inside this fortification to the northeast is a Anjaneya temple called Kottalada Hanuma, opposite to the temple is vakrani lake, in the same vicinity is an 16th century inscription.
Further south of the second fortification is the inner or the third fortification, the walls surrounds on the north, west and south and to the east is safe guarded by cliff. Large stone blocks with mortar have been used in its construction, the wall is adorned with square and circular bastion, and its gateway is ruined. Inside this fortification are two ponds, is same vicinity is a circular granary, to the south the hill is at its highest elevation here at a corner is watch tower with east entrance, which leads to a very rough steps to ascend over the tower.
Description of Sub Monuments
Details of Paintings
Details of Inscriptions
Inscription dated 1760 A.D. in Telagu and Kannada character, found on a boulder in the vakrani lake. It registers that Singanna caused the statue and construction of the God Hanumantha and lamppost.
Inscription dated 1406-07 A.D. in Persian language found on a slab fixed above the door of a mosque issued during the reign of Bahmani ruler Firoz. It registers to the conquest of the fort of Manvi by Abol-Fath-Firoz Shah Bahmani and states that the ruler placed the fort in charge of Malik Safder. Also states that Mohammad Zahir Aqchi converted the existing temple in to a Masjid on religious ground.
Architect Sculptor / Artist
Antiquarian Remains in Hyderabad State, 1953, p.62. Kannada University, Epigraphical Series Vol VII, Raichur District, Ed, Dr. Devara Kondareddy, No.10, 14 pp. 233, 236.
A Topographical List of Arabic, Persian and Urdu Inscriptions of South India, Ziyaud-Din-A Desai, No 1220, p 117.
Raichur Mattu Koppal Jilleya Kotegalu Ondu Adhyana, Sujata Mallana Gouda (Ph.D thesis), Kannada University, Hampi 2000, pp. 129-140.
Directorate of Archaeology and Museums in Karnataka.
Govt Order No
Suitable season for visit
All seasons except March to June
Approach by Rail
Approach by Road
About 45 km southwest of Raichur
Approach by AIR
Buses, taxis, autorickshas, etc.
Traveller’s bungalow and lodges in Manvi
Hotels and restaurants in Manvi
Permission to Photograph
Director, Directorate of Archaeology and Museums in Karnataka, Mysore.